Inflation, circa 1957
This has been circulating via email. The following were some comments made in the year 1957:
(1) "I'll tell you one thing, if things keep going the way they are, its going to be impossible to buy a weeks groceries for $20.00."
(2) "Have you seen the new cars coming out next year? It won't be long when $5,000 will only buy a used one."
(3) "If cigarettes keep going up in price, I'm going to quit. A quarter a pack is ridiculous."
(4) "Did you hear the post office is thinking about charging a dime just to mail a letter?"
(5) "If they raise the minimum wage to $1, nobody will be able to hire outside help at the store."
(6) "When I first started driving, who would have thought gas would someday cost 29 cents a gallon? Guess we'd be better off leaving the car in the garage."
(7) "Kids today are impossible. Those ducktail hair cuts make it impossible to stay groomed. Next thing you know, boys will be wearing their hair as long as the girls;"
(8) "I'm afraid to send my kids to the movies any more. Ever since they let Clark Gable get by with saying damn in "Gone With The Wind", it seems every new movie has either hell or damn in it."
(9) "Did you see where some baseball player just signed a contract for $75,000 a year just to play ball? It wouldn't surprise me if someday that they will be making more than the President."
(10) "I never thought I'd see the day all our kitchen appliances would be electric. They are even making electric typewriters now"
(11) "It's too bad things are so tough nowadays. I see where a few married women are having to work to make ends meet."
(12) "It won't be long before young couples are going to have to hire someone to watch their kids so they can both work."
(13) "I'm just afraid the Volkswagen car is going to open the door to a whole lot of foreign business."
(14) "Thank goodness I won't live to see the day when the Government takes half our income in taxes. I sometimes wonder if we are electing the best people to Congress."
(15) "The drive-in restaurant is convenient in nice weather, but I seriously doubt they will ever catch on."
(16) "I guess taking a vacation is out of the question now days. It costs nearly $15.00 a night to stay in a hotel."
(17) "No one can afford to be sick any more, $35.00 a day in the hospital is too rich for my blood."
Amusing . . .
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Inflation, circa 1957:
Is the point supposed to be that it will all keep going forever?
Because it won't, you know...
Posted by: John | May 28, 2007 3:16:23 PM
The comments to this entry are closed.