Kevin Depew of Minyanville sees the usage of "Well Contained" spilling over into other areas:
Every day we fire up the Bloomberg to find yet another story about someone saying something is "well contained." Every day.
You might think this is an exaggeration, but it's not:
- Merrill Lynch & Co. Chief Executive
Officer Stanley O'Neal said rising foreclosures on subprime mortgages in the
U.S. aren't affecting other parts of the bond market.
"It's reasonably WELL CONTAINED," O'Neal said, according to Bloomberg.
- Things are looking good at the Caribou Hills wildfire near Ninilchik, where fire officials report the blaze that burned 88 cabins is roughly 43 percent CONTAINED. "Some of the most troublesome areas are pretty WELL CONTAINED now," Fire information officer Gary Lehnhausen said, according to KTUU.com.
- Every year, the Environment Agency spends thousands of pounds trying to eradicate the Japanese knotweed, one of the most invasive and unwanted species in the UK. But according to the latest copy of John Lewis's in-house magazine, Gazette, a partner has spotted the plant flourishing in the garden at Brownsea, the Telegraph (UK) says. The Brownsea gardener promises the plant is WELL CONTAINED by "heavy flagstone and cannot escape."
- Chicago Federal Reserve President Michael Moskow said on Friday that the Fed still sees inflation as the dominant risk to the U.S. economy, but that inflation expectations currently seem WELL CONTAINED, according to Reuters.
- Malaysia has CONTAINED the deadly bird flu virus and no new cases have been reported, Reuters reported. "Based on our monitoring of the surrounding areas and nationwide, there is no evidence of infection so far and we can say that it is WELL CONTAINED," Mohamad Isa, head of disease control at Malaysia's veterinary services department said.
- "Subprime mortgage market woes seen WELL CONTAINED" - Reuters
- Assistant Treasury Secretary Anthony Ryan told Reuters that subprime problems appear "fairly WELL CONTAINED." Reuters
- "For now though, the mess in the subprime market remains fairly WELL CONTAINED." - NPR
- "Still, with the impact of defaults on subprime mortgages "WELL CONTAINED,'' the (FOMC) minutes said that "downside risks were judged to have diminished slightly." - Bloomberg
- "So far, the real estate and construction slowdown seems to be fairly WELL CONTAINED to those industries." - The Bend, Oregon Bulletin
Look at it! Here's the word from the Containers... and this is just in the past 30 days.
- The market shrugged off comments by U.S. Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson, who said on CNBC television on Monday that problems in the subprime mortgage loan sector could be CONTAINED. - Reuters, Khaleej Times, July 24, 2007
- Lehman Brothers Holdings Chief Financial Officer Christopher O'Meara told investors on a June 12 conference call that "we continue to believe that subprime market challenges are and will continue to be reasonably CONTAINED." - Charlotte Observer, Bloomberg News, July 24, 2007
- The U.S. Treasury Department Friday said the recent woes in the subprime mortgage market appear to be CONTAINED. - Reuters, July 20, 2007
- Fed's Poole: "Subprime woes look CONTAINED." - Yahoo News, Reuters, July 20, 2007
- "The subprime problem appears to be CONTAINED,'' said Richard Franulovich, a senior currency strategist at Westpac Banking Corp. in New York. - Bloomberg, July 17, 2007
- Chicago Fed study sees subprime woes CONTAINED. - Reuters, June 28, 2007
- Freddie Mac says subprime rout "severe but CONTAINED." - Bloomberg, June 26, 2007