Tuesday, August 19, 2008
Imperial Fleet Week in San Francisco
Monday, August 18, 2008
Geysers on Saturn's Moon
NASA Has Its Closest Look at Geysers on Saturn Moon
NYT August 15, 2008
Sunday, August 17, 2008
The Beatles Live: I've Got a Feeling/One After 909
The Beatles Rooftop Concert 1969
I've Got a Feeling/One After 909
Saturday, August 16, 2008
Job Interview Questions
Some of these are rather easy . . . others involve mere guesses. But the interesting way to think about them is why you would be asked these questions (to see how you think, process challenges, and respond to pressue).
Questions by Google:
• How many golf balls can fit in a school bus?
• You are shrunk to the height of a nickel and your mass is proportionally reduced so as to maintain your original density. You are then thrown into an empty glass blender. The blades will start moving in 60 seconds. What do you do?
• How many piano tuners are there in the entire world?
• In a country in which people only want boys, every family continues to have children until they have a boy. If they have a girl, they have another child. If they have a boy, they stop. What is the proportion of boys to girls in the country?
• Describe a chicken using a programming language.
Questions by Microsoft:
• You have a bucket of jelly beans. Some are red, some are blue, and some green. With your eyes closed, pick out 2 of a like color. How many do you have to grab to be sure you have 2 of the same?
Pairs of primes separated by a single number are called prime pairs. Examples are 17 and 19. Prove that the number between a prime pair is always divisible by 6 (assuming both numbers in the pair are greater than 6). Now prove that there are no ‘prime triples.’
• Imagine an analog clock set to 12 o’clock. Note that the hour and minute hands overlap. How many times each day do both the hour and minute hands overlap? How would you determine the exact times of the day that this occurs?
• How much does a 747 weigh?
Imagine a disk spinning like a record player turn table. Half of the disk is black and the other is white.
• Assume you have an unlimited number of color sensors. How many sensors would you have to place around the disk to determine the direction the disk is spinning? Where would they be placed?
Hat tip: Royal Pingdom
Friday, August 15, 2008
Interesting concept as a way to teach music: Virtual Zeppelin
Tuesday, August 12, 2008
Sunday, August 10, 2008
The Beatles Live: Get Back/Don't Let Me Down
The Beatles Rooftop Concert 1/3
Get Back/Don't Let Me Down
Friday, August 08, 2008
DoJ Job Application
Wednesday, August 06, 2008
George W. Bush: Comic-Book Villain?
via Vanity Fair